About Me

My photo
Diving back into this amazing blogging world to keep you updated on our latest book or activity! Enjoy!!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Adjustments

It's been an amazing 3 weeks! I'll do a post on what our boys are up to these days soon but today I'm going to talk about nursing aka breastfeeding and also having a newborn with a 3 year old at home.
Something so natural would seem so easy however before Abram was born, I knew that I wanted to nurse him and I was nervous. I was afraid that we would not bond like every mother talks about, would he not latch on and would I even want to nurse him? The first night Abram was born, was a bit rough - he would not latch on. Although my nurse was amazing and helped us through the first few hours, it was still very scary and I did not think Abe was going to latch. Now that we are home and getting in a routine, it has honestly been an amazing experience! I love being able to provide for our son.
I totally recommend utilizing your lactation consultant and if you do not have one at your hospital then definitely ask your friends if they have nursed in the past. It can be very frustrating but over time it is also rewarding.
I do know that nursing is not for everybody although for me it has been a great experience so far.
I am going to try to pump this week and have Ry give Abe a bottle. I've read that if somebody else gives him a bottle the first few times, it usually goes better.
If you have any pointers, please pass them along!

Confession time...I know for me, I was nervous as my due date was approaching...for many reasons but one of them was how I would feel toward our 3 year old son. Would I feel differently now that we would have a biological son? How would I treat our 3 year old? So many unknowns.
To be completely honest, having Abram has only opened my eyes to our other son more. By that I mean that I love our 3 year old more! He is such a big helper and I have noticed that the more time I spend with each son separately and together the better our 3 year old is! Ry and I both have tried to have one on one time with our older son and I think it's helped.

It has been an amazing journey and we are both so thankful for both of our children!

Be sure to give your children extra hugs tonight and let them know how special they are!
XOXO
~Jenn~

2 comments:

DeMaster Family said...

Such sweet boys and they have a great Mom!

Sue said...

You are a great mom. Bringing up your boys in a christian home is just so awesome. I am really proud of you Jenn,...oh and Ryan too! Love ya